ISDN

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Jul 7 16:46:25 CDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Patrick Miller wrote:

> We are having a problem with a PRI ISDN connection giving us flaky
> results and not creating paths. I could go on and on, but we need some
> test equipment if anyone has access to some we could borrow. I was told
> it would be something like a tbird.

I just use a scope on the line.  You should see well defined voltage
transitions of four possible voltage levels between positive and negative
2 volts.  The noise level should be typically very faint, but the
connection should work if the spikes do not step into the next voltage
threshold.

If you want to borrow my scope, I'd be glad to help.

Usually, older connections in the line have splices with lose copper.
When it rains or the temperature changes, this often causes the connection
to time out or just die.  This could be early mornings or evenings.  Or
when the shadow of a tree passes over the splice box somewhere between
your house and who knows where.

What usually happens when you call the telephone company about this is
they tell you to reboot, reinstall, get new equipment, call back, etc.,
then when they get sick of you calling (logged 6 hours one week on my cell
phone,) they will send someone out.  Repeat this process for the person
who comes out who will shrug their shoulders until he gets the line
technician out, who is authorized to mess with the wires.

I *hate* the telephone company.  When I had ISDN, I had to bribe the local
ISP who had some large contracts with the phone company and the leverage
to get someone to come out from a nearby state in the wee hours Sunday
morning to repair the line.

--
http://dattaway.org