Debian question

Jason Munro jason at stdbev.com
Mon Jul 7 01:38:10 CDT 2003

On July 6, 8:01 pm Steven Elling <ellings at kcnet.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 06 July 2003 09:38, Kurt wrote:
> >  I have my cache list up-to-date. But when i 'apt-get'
> >  for gtk, pango, or glib it just tells me "E: Couldn't
> >  find package xxxx". But I downloaded each of those
> >  (pango, glib, atk, gtk) from www.gtk.org and it was
> >  here that I read that atk, pango, and glib were
> >  required. My immediate problem, is that pango is
> >  looking for this x develpment thing. Is it looking for
> >  fonts? I have done apt-upgrade and this does not solve
> >  anything.

Some things I find handy with regard to debian packages:

To use apt to install a package you must know the correct full name.

 http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

 Using debians search pages is a great way to find out the real name
 of a package.

To see a list of installed/removed packages:

 dpkg -l

Sometimes building software from source not only requires that certain libs
be installed but also that there "dev" package be installed.

HTH

 __ Jason Munro
  ___ sailfrog at users.sourceforge.net
   ____ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/