Debian question

Adam Davis ald at dovienya.net
Sun Jul 6 19:18:37 CDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Kurt wrote:

> I have my cache list up-to-date. But when i 'apt-get'
> for gtk, pango, or glib it just tells me "E: Couldn't
> find package xxxx". But I downloaded each of those
> (pango, glib, atk, gtk) from www.gtk.org and it was
> here that I read that atk, pango, and glib were
> required. My immediate problem, is that pango is
> looking for this x develpment thing. Is it looking for
> fonts? I have done apt-upgrade and this does not solve
> anything.

Coupla suggests on using apt-get:

First, if you don't give it enough to work with, it fails with errors like
the one you're getting.  Try the following:

apt-get install gtk*
apt-get install pango*
apt-get install glib*

That'll usually catch the package you're looking for.  It also catches
other packages, too, on occasion, and so...

Second, you can search through available packages:

apt-cache search gtk

This gives a listing of all packages whose names or descriptions match the
regular expression (in this case, gtk).  Then you know what's there and
can give apt-get the full name, assuring you get what you want and only
what you want.

~Adam Davis