Networking DSL/Cabling Issues

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Jul 4 02:54:48 CDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Paul Taylor wrote:

> Horizontal run cable is not patch and might be crossover.
> Patch cable is braided for more flexibility.
> Horizontal run cable is solid core for better impedance.
> Crossover pertains to certain pairs swapped and is independent of patch or
> horizontal cable.
>
> Read EIA/TIA 568A or 568B standards for more information.

Again, not to be a smartass or anything but "reading the standards" in
this case involves shelling out $360 (CD) or $460 (paper):

http://global.ihs.com/search_res.cfm?RID=TIA&INPUT_DOC_NUMBER=TIA%2FEIA%2D568

Pretty steep, considering that the original post was about wiring up a
DSL modem* in a house.

[*] Yes, I saw the earlier rant on the word "modem."  It's easier to say
than "ethernet-to-atm-plus-ppp-and-or-ethernet-bridge-no-wait-i-meant-router."