DNS-TRANSFER

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Jul 3 20:15:55 CDT 2003

At 03:03 PM 7/3/2003 -0500, Garrett Goebel wrote:
>Some data you might consider supplying to the kclug list is the linux
>distribution on your new server, if you have a DNS Server preference, and
>a ballpark of how many hosts are in your file entries.

I'm open to whatever is stable and easy to administer.  Currently the
sysetm is on Debian with Bind on it.

>Have you considered setting up ip aliasing and being your own secondary?
><http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/IP-Alias/>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/IP-Alias/
>That is what I do with tinydns. I suppose it depends on whether or not you
>need enough fault tolerance and redundancy to support a complete failover
>to a secondary site... I.e., why you have the new server in the first place.

I appreciate the info, but I'd much rather have another physical server for
the backup.

>You might consider tinydns:
><http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/>http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/. It is
>simpler, more secure, and an order-of-magnitude easier to configure than
>Bind. Perhaps you're farming this out simply as a matter of time
>commitments, but any reasonably technical person having never seen it
>before should be able to read the docs and get djbdns up and running in an
>hour or two.

Again -- I have no preferences.  I'm a programmer, not a sysadmin.  I just
want things to work and work without problems.

To further answer the above questions, I'd say I have 170+ domains to deal
with here.  I have this nifty little "records" file that has all the info,
it's just a matter of getting that info to build records files.   I even
have all the current records files . . . . if they would work fine with the
current setup (minus tweaks to get them specific for the new machine) . . .
great.   Whatever, however.  I'm not picky on what gets the job done . . .
I just need it done.  I'm paying for two servers right now (actually 3)
that I should have had gone A LONG TIME AGO.   That kind of overhead is
killing my profit margins . . . it's cheaper to pay someone to switch
things then it is to bill another month's worth of servers.

Bradley Miller, Owner/Programmer/Designer
AccessZone Design - www.accesszonedesign.com
Blue Springs, Missouri
Phone: 816-228-3814             Fax: 775-254-6162
Toll-free: 888-872-4420 ICQ: 48555780