Networking DSL/Cabling Issues

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 17:46:12 CDT 2003

The modem *NEEDS* to be connected to a PC. Not a
router. You'll need an additional cable I guess to run
between the modem and a pc and one back up to the
router. Really though the router could be anywhere.
I'm not sure why the router *needs* to be with the
modem, unless it is for security purposes.

My setup has the switch in the basement in a closet
with all the cables coming in from all over the house.
and jacks in every room (well except the bathrooms
;)).
I have a firewall server connected to the modem, and
it is connected to the network via a wallplate.

my layout:

modem -> firewall -> switch -> dining room

                            |-> kitchen

                            |            |-> PC
                            |-> bedroom 1|
                            |            |-> laptop