Some apt help...

Cortnie Graham cortnie at bizniche.com
Wed Jul 2 04:02:44 CDT 2003

I'm new at debian, and new a using apt-get.

So, I'm wanting to install something like php for my little webserver.
I've been reading up on the APT-HOWTO on debian.org.  I did:

apt-get update
apt-cache search php

Woa.so there are so many choices.  Not knowing what to pick, I choose
php4.  so I run:

apt-get install php4

Here is the output:

jack:~# apt-get install php4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
libbz2-1.0 libmm11
libbz2-1.0 libmm11 php4
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 597kB/632kB of archives. After unpacking 1621kB will be
used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
_Woody_ - LordSutch.com MiniCD i386 Binary-1 (20020920)' in the drive
'/cdrom/' and press enter

It's asking for a cd.  What am I doing wrong there?

PART2..

So.trying other things.I want to wget a file from another server.
Discovering that I'm missing wget, I do the same process as above and
end up trying:

apt-get install wget

Works like a charm.  Connects to debian.uchicago.edu, installs.all is
well.  I'm wget'n with the best of them.

What's the difference?

PART LAST...

So now.a general question about apt-get.  When you think "Hey.I want to
install mysql server. (or whatever)"  Do you usually look for
mysql-server in apt-cache search first?  I mean.is that the first place
you guys go?  Or is there some in-the-know command / webpage that you
look at first.

I'm loving Debian by the way.  Cool stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Matt