Data recovery.

Chris Wagner ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Tue Jul 1 16:02:44 CDT 2003

Have a gentleman who asked me about a problem he's run into.

He has worked on WordPerfect for many years in a Windows environment
and recently had received a copy of RH 8 from a son who installed it
in a dual-boot setting with Win98.

Apparently he said he had followed all the docs and the prompts with
this edition of WordPerfect install, but then he said he realized
that the installer apparently tried to install its own version of
Corel Linux in order to run WP.

Well, to say the least, it hosed the system as far as I can tell.

Can't boot the system with a Win98 floppy nor will the boot make it
to the point a LILO prompt.

At this point, he's willing to scrap the Linux side, but all his
files are on that Win32 partition.

Apparently another gentleman tried to use Partition Magic to check
the partitions, but I'm not sure about what was really done.

To sum it up, it sounds to me like he's at a loss.

One quick question, in addition to ANY feedback you all have:

Could you hook up that drive as a secondary in another PC and copy
the files onto another drive, then wipe it and start over?

I guess I'm wondering if the Windows file system isn't all screwed up
now, too, especially since he's getting errors when trying to boot
from the Win98 floppy.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks, all.

Chris