PERL/CGI ERROR

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Wed Jan 29 18:43:57 CST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Peter Amisano wrote:

> I am receiving the following error in my Apache error log:
>
> [Wed Jan 29 10:44:23 2003] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
> /var/www/cgi-bin/generator.cgi failed
> [Wed Jan 29 10:44:23 2003] [error] [client 198.39.6.241] Premature end of
> script headers: /var/www/cgi-bin/generator.cgi
>
> I am not sure what this means.  I have the generator.cgi in the cgi-bin
> folder, I am not getting a page not found error, I get the dreaded Internal
> Server Error.  I have the action="/cgi-bin/generator.cgi"

What does the first line of the script look like?  Assuming generator.cgi
is a script and not a compiled executable, it should look something like
this:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

It sounds like the path points to the wrong place.  If perl lived in
"/usr/bin" on your system and not in "/usr/local/bin", trying to run
generator.cgi with the above path would generate a "No such file or
directory" error.