Hard drives, quality (IDE vs SCSI call for True Stories)

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Jan 20 05:32:22 CST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, david nicol wrote:

> Is this still true?  Do IDE drivers still lock up?  Do IDE interfaces
> still burn out? What goes wrong with IDE anymore?  Does anyone have any
> recent personal experience of IDE failure?

The only times I've ever lost IDE drives is when I drop them or bang them
against the case.  Its never good to drop a computer down a flight of
stairs.  Twice.  (my own personal computer)  But I was at least able to
recover nearly all of my information.

Well, there was *one* Western Digital drive out of hundreds at my last job
over several years that had noisy bearings and finally failed.  When
powering it up, a tap was required for a spin.  And then it had errors...

SCSI must be *really* good if it is better than IDE.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150