Is this claim true, or not?

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Sun Jan 19 21:45:44 CST 2003

Hmm... This is exactly the kind of Witnessing and Debate I hoped to avoid.
To sum up the responses I've received so far:

Richard: Pro DSL, unless cable is cheaper.
Michael: Pro cable, because it's faster.
Lowell: Gets a certain speed downstream, but didn't say which kind of
service he uses.

So, we've got a split vote, and no one has yet dealt with the question I
asked (though Richard did, a little). That's not to belittle the input you
guys gave - thanks! - but I want a more technical answer.

You see, if you call a DSL provider, they will tell you that cable slows
down as more and more people in a neighborhood get it. I've heard that for a
long time. TWC counters this, on their website, with the information I
quoted about how "the scalable features of Time Warner Cable's hybrid fiber
coax (HFC) design" yields "nearly-infinite growth capacity."

I'd like to know it, technically, what TWC is claiming makes any sense. Is
it FUD mumbo-jumbo, or is it sound?

I currently use DSL and know that they provide faster service than I'm
getting; I'm as far from the CO as they will allow... Every time I call, the
tech is surprised that I can connect at all. All of the Cable ads (Everest
and TWC) claim higher speeds, so they are attractive. But I want to know if
the clogging is a real issue or not.

PLEASE: let's not let this become a debate of TWC vs. Everest or such
things... Can anyone give me the straight dope?

-SD