On my way to KC... a little help?

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Thu Jan 16 17:45:26 CST 2003

Oh no.  I lived in KC for a year about 10 years ago and then moved back 5
years ago and have been here since.  I Lived in KCMO for that first year and
then in Lenexa for 5 years and now I've moved to Independence.

First off.  let me say, DO NOT MOVE INTO Kansas City proper.  If you have
kids especially.  There are some nice areas but as has been said before in
this thread.  The city is run by morons.

I moved to Independence because I got a good deal on a house... about 20%
under value.  It was also closer to work.  I live in the Fort Osage School
District which is a whole lot better then the Independence school district
as far as I can tell.

It really depends on your preferences.  The Missouri side tends to be lower
class.  Allot of pickup trucks and hound dogs. :)  The Kansas side tends to
be more professional.  Poodles and BMW's.

Here's an example I have:  Like I said, I've lived in Independence for about
6 months.  I wanted to buy a nice bottle of rum for my boss.  When I lived
in Lenexa I just went down to the corner liquor store (although not on
Sundays. :) ) and picked one up.  There's a liquor store about 6 blocks from
where I live now.  I went there and asked for the best bottle of rum they
had.  Now, I'm used to paying $200-$300 for a mid range variety.  This guy
plops a $13 bottle of Bacardi on the counter.  I said, "Is that the best
thing you have?"   For some reason he took my look of disgust to mean I
didn't like the price.  He then went on to offer me some $10 bottle.  It's
just a whole different mentality.

As far as housing costs.  Yes, the Missouri side is ALLOT cheaper.  The
house I bought would go for twice what I payed for it on the Kansas side
BUT... It would be worth twice as much also.  Don't be fooled into the
mistake the Japanese made when they invested in US property.  Just because
it's cheaper then it would be where you live now doesn't make it a better
deal.

My house will be payed off in about 7 years.  At that point I will probably
move back to the Kansas side.

Aaron