So it begins..

Phoenician phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Tue Jan 14 16:21:25 CST 2003

<snip>
far out, man...  glad to see someone's opinion on ethical behavior made
it to the list... I sent one this past weekend that mysteriously got
lost in the ether....
<snip>

  Oh, you were the one!  I couldn't remember who posted the article on
Ethics the other day.  I thought it was apropos at the time.
Could you forward it to me off list please?
I have a bad habit of misplacing things that I want to review later.

  I was discussing off list the ethics of the WLAN issue with a friend.
As always, he was able to provide another vantage point that I had over
looked.
It was pointed out that it was the initial phrasing of Jose's email that
drew
suspicion that he was acting as a good Samaritan.
In [Jose's] original email he said "Should I let them know their Network is
vulnerable and offer to tweak it for a small fee or just let them find out
the hard way?" With that comment it was felt that Jose was wardriving for
the wrong
reasons.  I kind of over looked the correlation that had been drawn between
innocently
stumbling upon something and doing the right thing vs seeking out something
and the
_possible_ motive for self gain.   To be fair though, has Jose been asked
what his
motives were? (I honestly do not recall)

I'd hate to assume that his intentions were less then noble.
We all know what tends to happen when you assume something...

To Jose:  Initially, what was your intention?

Just out of curiosity, what has become of the situation?

- Michienne (pr: Mishan)