Webrings - A good thing?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Feb 27 15:10:39 CST 2003

You may have heard this somewhere before, but: It's all about content.
If you want people to come to your site, there has to be something
there that you want.

I realise that this puts you in a chicken-and-egg position for a site
soliciting public contribution as it's content.  I have two suggestions:

First, you may get some good by putting calls for articles in public
forums on Usenet, and on lists like this one.  Be subtle, considerate
of the theme of the list, and DON'T JUST SPAM.

Second, build a good "links" page that links to content similar to or
related to what you want for your site.  Links get noticed, and will
result in back-traffic to your site.  They also offer a quick way to
build content without either stealing it or having to come up with it
yourself.  (This is what sites like slashdot are all about.)