Closed Circuit Video on Linux

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Thu Feb 27 06:22:24 CST 2003

I have a friend that is building a professional music studio.  They are
considering eliminating the glass between the control room and the main
studio room to help with isolation.  Also no glass between the drum room
and the control room.  Probably still have glass between the drum room
and the main room.  Anyway, to accomplish this they are thinking about
using something like web cameras and monitors to see from one room to
another.  I was thinking this could be an excellent application of
linux.  I know some of you have experience with doing streaming video
with linux.  I thought I would get your ideas for the best way to go
about this.  I'm thinking something like a dual headed machine for
running the monitor in the drum room and the main studio room that could
be controlled remotely with a machine in the control room, which could
also be a dual head, I suppose.  All hooked together with 100Mbit
ethernet, of course.

Give me some ideas on a technical solution.  Anyone interested in
helping with this project as an interesting intellectual pursuit?  We're
looking to move on the design of this project right away, with
implementation coming just a few months from now.

Thanks,
Jim