RedHat

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Feb 26 22:59:32 CST 2003

Quoting Jason Clinton <clintonj at umkc.edu>:

> We're talking about up2date the command line utility, not "RedHat
> Update Software Wizard" that is in the GUI.

I believe your discussion spanned both topics.

> We've already established that the  'big arsed
> flashing icon' doesn't work for most users.

Well, we've established that it DIDN'T work for YOU.  8.0 is
considerably evolved from 7.0.

Most of the hype about RedHat being the Linux for newbies was centered
around the 8.0 release, and I think you should attempt some familiarity
with that before you go much further in your evangelistic platform
bashing (EPB).

As a desktop product, RedHat has been acknowledged to be an evolving
thing that RedHat admitted wasn't ready for everybody yet.  With 8.0,
they've said they think they've addressed a lot of the issues, and
please have a look.

As someone who wants to carry on a campaign of EPB against RedHat, you
should at least be acquainted, if not deeply familiar with their
current offerings.

(Yes, this is contrary to my own EPB on Novell, but Novell claimed to
be ready for prime time around 2.1, and several people have declared
the changes since 4.5/5 to be fairly minor.)