RedHat

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Feb 26 22:44:29 CST 2003

Quoting Jason Clinton <clintonj at umkc.edu>:

> Now, I want to install XQF (the TCP/IP game browser) so I can play
> online. Certainly this is not an esoteric request.

Boy, I'd sure think so.  Then again, I've known Linux for a while, and
I know it's not a finished-and-polished-for-marketing world.  I know
that things like games that are always cutting-edge are going to be
iffy at best and require delving deep into the system.

RedHat probably didn't tell you about grep, sed, awk, vi, or ifconfig
either.  For that, you need to read some books or at least online
HOWTO's on Linux.

> RedHat is lying to its newbie customers and that turns people off

Not hardly.  99% of the newbie customers want to do email, browse the
web, and do word processing.  Cutting-edge gaming is not their target
market - again, Microsoft has that pretty well covered, especially that
portion of the market that is more interested in the latest game than
in the code running under it.

The other, very obvious, point is that it wouldn't be any easier on any
other distro, and your complaint is so much misdirected sophmoric rant.

I too made the mistake of thinking that if RedHat were selling a Linux
distro, it should be finished and polished and everything should work
and be documented.  Wrong.  Linux (not just RedHat) is a work in
progress.  Probably it allways will be.

A friend made a good comment: "With Linux I feel like I have to put on
my hard hat and toolbelt every time I want to change anything on my
system."  Yup.  That's Linux.