RedHat

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Wed Feb 26 22:43:28 CST 2003

>>RH user: "I enjoy using redhat, it's working out great for me."
>>RealNix User: "But it sucks.  "
>>RH: "But...I like it.  And I've had no problems. "
>>RealNix: "Yeah...but it sucks.  So, you _cant_ enjoy it."
>>RH: "But I do."
>>RealNix: "No you don't.  You can't.  It's crappy at it's core...so even
>>if it works for you, you're missing the big picture, and are not having
>>any fun."
>>RH: "Okay...whatever you say.  I like it."
>>
>>Why try to convince someone that their distro sucks when it works 100%
>>fine for them?

Correct. Some people think that in order for their own
distro to succeed, all others must fail. In fact, there's
plenty of room. Consider the way underground punk records and
zines, also reliant on distros to succeed, all intermingle cozily.

This is not just about distros, of course. In life, I have
found that advocating _for_ anything and leaving _against_ to occur
on its own has a 100 percent hit rate for keeping a conversation
from becoming an argument.

Not that I always do that, but I'm getting better.

-Jared