what if the rpmbuild --rebuild failed

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Feb 26 21:18:57 CST 2003

joecho at everestkc.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't do
> #rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm
>
> I did only source file:
> #rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
>
> One thing I should know first what the the kernel development package
> are.
>
> I've never developed kernel before.
>
> What I have done was just using rpm installation for updating,
> install packages previous.
> That's why I'm really having a challenge for installing video card.
> To be honest, one time a few year ago,
> I had a Dell Inspiron, at that time video card was ATI,
> at the beginning I had some problem, but I found a driver
> which was *.rpm binary, and it worked well.
>
> Now, I guess this laptop has relatively new and advanced components
> compared to the old one tha I had.
> most time a new LAPTOP gives some headache that I expected.
>
> Could you give more tips how to compile and build this monster?

/me digs around on current RH8 system

While RedHat was going through the hassle of upgrading to a newer gcc a
while back, there were lots of wacky things you needed to be able to
compile the kernel (including a special version of gcc that could
compile the kernel, as the latest/greatest would barf).

It looks like all that's fixed now, so you should just need the normal
compiling environmnet, and the kernel source for whatever kernel you
have installed.  Try "up2date kernel-source" at the command line, and
see where that gets you.  You may have to --force it, since the default
up2date config won't install kernel packages automatically.

Hopefully, that will get you a kernel development environment.  I've
never bothered to see exactly what rpm's get installed for kernel
development, since I either check the "kernel development" option when
installing, or exclude all development stuff (ie for servers, which I
don't think should be running a local compiler).

To be on the safe side, you should make sure your kernel source tree is
configured properly.

CD to /usr/src/linux-<version>/

Copy the appropriate config file for your CPU..
from: configs/
to  : .config

Run "make menuconfig", and exit SAVING YOUR CHANGES

Follow this with a "make dep", and your kernel tree should be set.

With the kernel source installed, see if you can rebuild the
NVIDIA-kernel rpm.  If you're still having problems, dump the output to
a file and post the whole mess somewhere so we can look at what's going
wrong.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net