RedHat

Matt Graham linux at bizniche.com
Wed Feb 26 20:11:53 CST 2003

_Sigh_

Isn't this a bit like talking about Religion?  No...more like the
conversations I have with my Mac addict friend.  He spends hours and hours
trying to get me to stop using windows or any form of linux, and to start
using mac.  By itself, that's fine.  I like driving Nissan cars, so I
recommend them to others.  Where it is _not_ fine is the reasoning behind
it.  He tries to get me to use a mac because he wants to "save" me.  He
wants me to see that there are "better and faster" hardware components and
that it's so much easier to use, and that the point of using computers is to
use computers...not to fiddle with dot files or up2date or whatever.
So...he wants to save me from my computer and help me see that there is a
"true" computer.  Even if I enjoy using windows or linux, I'm still not
getting all that technology has to offer in his view.  Unless I switch to
mac, I'll never be happy.

Are we doing the same thing here?  Redhat sucks because it's not the "true"
linux.  It's like:

RH user: "I enjoy using redhat, it's working out great for me."
RealNix User: "But it sucks.  "
RH: "But...I like it.  And I've had no problems. "
RealNix: "Yeah...but it sucks.  So, you _cant_ enjoy it."
RH: "But I do."
RealNix: "No you don't.  You can't.  It's crappy at it's core...so even if
it works for you, you're missing the big picture, and are not having any
fun."
RH: "Okay...whatever you say.  I like it."

Why try to convince someone that their distro sucks when it works 100% fine
for them?