MySQL

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Wed Feb 26 17:48:25 CST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:31:51 -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>Quoting Jared Smith <jared at trios.org>:
>
>>SQL. Not owning a license to SQL-Server, I recently had to
>>convert a complex SQL-Server database and take it home
>>with me to work over a weekend; Access was out of the
>>question because it's so proprietary in how it handles
>>dates and string/numerics; the code converted cleanly to MySQL
>>and I was up and coding within about an hour. That's great
>>for me.
>
>What tool did you use to convert the Access database to MySQL?

Actually, it was a SQL-Server database; I simply made an ODBC link;
At that time I was using a Windows platform, and used MySQL-Front.
There are some decent ODBC routines distributed with MySQL.

I was coding in PHP and used ADODB to access the database; I
changed one line of code in my connect.inc.php file and
a couple of date mungers, and it worked fine.

I have not had much luck converting Access to MySQL on anything
larger than a few text fields. I know it's possible, but it's
more work than it should be...

MySQL just works.

-Jared