[OT]RE: RedHat

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Wed Feb 26 13:37:56 CST 2003

> The answer to the first question is the same thing that answers the
> potential problem with RPM's: put the proper tests in the package.  I
> have actually seen one program that offered "make uninstall", but only
> one in several years of running Linux.

What I usually do when I install a package from source (which I do most of
the time) is "make install > Prog_name-install.log", as most install scripts
output what they put where.  Then I store the install logs in a directory.
I haven't had to "uninstall" anything yet, but I keep meaning to write a
Perl script to parse those logs and do the uninstall for me.

Gene