RedHat

Hal Duston hald at sound.net
Wed Feb 26 04:54:16 CST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Jason Clinton wrote:

> This rant omits the following other problems that erk me: it's VERY
> difficult to install a vanilla kernel due to the number of
> 'optimizations' RedHat has made to their included kernel (if they're
> that great, why aren't they in the vanilla kernel.

I assume by vanilla, that you actually mean Linus.  Redhat tends to base
their kernels off of Alan Cox's tree.

Most of these patches _are_ in the Linus kernel.  Many of them are
selected backports of stuff from 2.5.x.  Redhat _never_ ships a
development kernel.

http://lwn.net/Articles/14806/ may be instructive.

--snip--

> If RedHat's an ocean liner, Gentoo and Debian are water-powered Jet Ski's.

I wouldn't want to cross the ocean on a Jet Ski, nor would I wish to float
an ocean liner in Smithville Lake.

Hrmmm, I wonder what Slackware is in this analogy.