RedHat

A Duston hald at sound.net
Wed Feb 26 03:43:37 CST 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:
--snip--
> This rant omits the following other problems that erk me: it's VERY
> difficult to install a vanilla kernel due to the number of
> 'optimizations' RedHat has made to their included kernel (if they're
> that great, why aren't they in the vanilla kernel),

I assume by "vanilla" kernel you mean Linus kernel.  RedHat generally
bases their kernel's off of Alan Cox's kernel tree.  Many of the patches
_are_ in the Linus kernel, the Linus 2.5.x kernel which RedHat will
_never_ ship.  They are backports of 2.5.x stuff to 2.4.x.  Arjan van de Ven
is the RedHat kernel guy, and from what I can tell, the folks on the lkml
consider him to be competent, as do I.

http://lwn.net/Articles/14806/ may be instructive.

--snip--

> If RedHat's an ocean liner, Gentoo and Debian are water-powered Jet Ski's.

I'd hate to try and cross the Atlantic on water-powered Jet Ski's just like
I'd hate to try and float an ocean liner in Smithville Lake.

Hrmmm, I wonder what Slackware is in this analogy

--snip--
> --
> Jason Clinton
> I don't believe in witty sigs.