DSL and NAT'ed customer addresses

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sat Feb 22 20:33:46 CST 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> Ah.. ya missed a key thing.  He isn't doing the NAT.  The DSL provider
> is NAT'ing AND there are multiple internal IPs on a single externalIP.

What address is his provider giving him?  If it's in one of the private
ranges listed in RFC 1918 (10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 -
172.31.255.255, or 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255) then his proider is
likely NATing him.

If his address is NOT in any of these ranges he might be able to use a
dynamic DNS service (assuming his provider isn't otherwise blocking access
to the port he's trying to serve).