Sendmail.

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Feb 18 22:10:39 CST 2003

Quoting Chris Wagner <ismgr at atchisonkansas.net>:

> The docs say that Sendmail is not a "final delivery agent".

It means that sendmail is meant to move mail from server to server, not
to deliver it to the user.  That's usually done with a client of some
sort, Pine, Outlook, etc.

> But when I point a mail client to that box for mail (using an account
> setup on the Linux box) I get a server error saying relaying is
> denied.

Same or different linux box?

This is a tricky bit, and it's disabled because the lazy way to enable
it allows spammers to use your server as a relay so mail appears to
come from your domain instead of their blocked domain.

Linux Documentation project to the rescue again:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/sendmail-
upgrades.html