The Current Spam (Cop?) thread

admin at kclinux.net admin at kclinux.net
Thu Feb 13 19:09:10 CST 2003

> What does everyone else think?  I get the impression if the national
> no-call list legislation that's been in the news lately actually does
> pass, spam at that level will be addressed soon enough.  But I digress
> -  that's a whole different thread.  <grin>

Actually the stop-spam thing came up in congress already and turned down
due to it's a worldwide service that the U.S. cant control.  The call list
would get the company in trouble (fined/sued) for calling someone on the no-
call list, and if they're calling from outside the U.S., that company will
lose any acceptance of doing business in the U.S.  Spam on the other hand,
is a whole new world. So many services are spammed online now that someone
wouldnt even have to be in the U.S. to offer the service.  If a guy in
Russia owns a porn site that is hosted in Russia, and spams everyone with
a .com, .org, or .net email address, the U.S. cant make that person stop.

KC Linux
http://www.kclinux.net