Your Ph # & Address are on the Internet

Tom Margrave Tom.Margrave at borland.com
Wed Feb 12 02:48:40 CST 2003

Received this through a friend.  I was quiet surprised to see that by
entering our phone number on the search line produced our name, address, and
links to mapquest.  Needless to say,  I requested our number removed.

> This was sent to me--I checked--and my address, with a map, was on the
internet.  So I'm forwarding this info to you.

>  Dear friends, I just wanted to share this with you because I think this
is
> something that could be dangerous is used by the wrong hands.
> Many people are unaware of this danger. I personally, don't want any
> "Tom, Dick, or Harry" having a direct map (and the map IS perfect) to
> my house just by having my phone number.
>
> Go to www.google.com <http://www.google.com> then type in your phone
number
> as they show below and click on Google Search.  If your phone number is
> listed it will show your name and address and give you two map options.
> Yahoo and MapQuest.
>
> See how accurate the map is....  linked to your phone number.
>
> There is a new feature that makes it possible to type a telephone number
> into Google's search bar, click the search button, and have a MapQuest
page
> returned as a result.  Any person wishing to discover the physical
location
> of a phone number, be it a home or business address, could use this
feature
> to locate a physical street address,and receive explicit directions on how
> to get there from anywhere in the country.
>
> One positive use of this feature could be to determine the location of,
say,
> an party for whom you may only have a telephone number.  On a negative
note,
> this feature could also be used by an angry party to find out where you
live

> Google has made available an option that will allow anyone to remove their
> telephone number from the database that is linked to the mapping feature.
> You will first need to check if your number is listed in this manner by
attempting a search - entering your full telephone number separated by
dashes (e.g., 404-524-5811).  If the number appears in the mapping database,
an icon resembling a telephone will appear next to the first or second entry
> on the results page.  Clicking on this icon will take you to a page
containing a description of the service, and a link to request your number
be removed from the database.