OT: Dell Dude Arrested

Charles Sharp charles_sharp at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 16:14:26 CST 2003

Greetings All,

I'm new in the area and to the list, so I thought I'd hop
in on a knotty Linux technical discussion...

--- Dustin Decker <dustind at moon-lite.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:
> > My favorite take on this was Jay Leno's:
> >
> > "Dude, yer gettin a Cell!"
>
> I think the worst of it for this young man is he'll bring
> too much bad press to Dell, and lose his contract.  The
> case is already being dismissed provided he can keep
> from getting caught with dope for a year.
> (Apparantly Dell doesn't pay well enough to get him a bag
> big enough to do time for.)

Is this really bad press for Dell?  I'm trying to imagine
the customer base to which Dell hopes to sell.  Are a lot
of them really going to be turned off because an actor --
and I suspect that most of this imagined customer base
understands this guy is not really a Dell intern -- got hit
with a misdemeanor charge?

Meanwhile, Dell has its name plastered over all sorts of
media.  Free of charge.

Probably a plant[sic] -- think sophisticated marketing.

Interesting list -- good to meet you,
cas