DVD writing?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Feb 10 22:39:14 CST 2003

Quoting Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>:

> Compressed DVD on a CD? eeeeewwwwwwwwwewewwwwwwww!

I think someone said it's quality was equivalent to a copy of a VHS tape, but I
havn't seen it myself.  I know someone who was transferring DVR recording to
this format and was getting pretty good quality.

DVD doesn't by any means use the best available compression these days - I
believe it's something like MPEG1 or 2; while MPEG4 is available, and there are
other compression schemes.

Someone pointed out that dedicated hardware decompression works a lot better
than software decompression for these formats.  Even fast PC's aren't really
great at video processing.