DVD writing?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon Feb 10 15:39:57 CST 2003

At 09:30 AM 2/10/2003 -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:

>I would be very skeptical of being able to write a DVD disc in a CDRW
>drive. I doubt the CDRW has the laser motion/tracking to write at that
>density. Hence the reason DVD writeable drives cost $$$. If it sounds
>too good to be true it usually is. Try reading a DVD in your CDRW. If
>you can read it you can possible write it. If you can't read it how can
>you read it back to verify you wrote it?
>
>JMHO,
>Brian

Actually I believe the products that are touted for that type of thing
actually compress the DVD video into such a tiny size (at significantly
less quality) that it will fit on a typical CDR/W.   I played around with
making DVD videos (of hundreds of digital pics) and burning them to CDR's
for X-Mas presents for the family.  (Most of the grandparents got VHS tapes
. . . no DVD players!)

I also converted a few other VHS tapes over and recorded them -- I forget
about how much you can get on a CDR in MPEG2 format -- seems like 30
minutes or so sticks in my mind . .  but I could be wrong.