Linux Router Help.

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 15:52:50 CST 2003

Not to butt in, or point out what may be general knowledge to most, but
just as an FYI for those interested:

A bridge (usually older devices, commonly replaced by switches) connect
2 (or possibly 3) segments of the same physical network (same IP
address range, or subnet). A router connects 2 separate physical
networks (different IP address range, or subnet).

Traditionally, bridges were 2 or 3 port devices which relied on
programming to perform their function, while switches are multiport
devices utilizing the hardware backplane to perform the function. (ASIC
chips - Application Specific Integrated Circuit) That's why switches
are typically more efficient than bridges, and are sometimes referred
to as "multiport bridges". Both are layer 2 devices, utilizing MAC
addresses, not IP addresses, to perform forwarding and filtering of
frames on the network. Utilizing switches also improves security by
directing traffic to specific machines, so that even in promiscuous
mode a NIC in a switched environment will not "see" traffic not
destined for itself.

This also assumes an Ethernet environment, as Token Ring operates
differently with what are typically known as "source route bridges".
That's another discussion....

Hope this wasn't TMI. :o)

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/Bridge+Firewall.html