Outlook replacement

Benjamin Fisher dentariz at linuxmail.org
Sat Feb 8 12:10:56 CST 2003

First of all, thanks to all of those who have responded with information.  I've taken a look at the
RFCs again.  I know pretty much what the protocols are and what they do, but I did learn a thing or
two (a good thing).  Justin: I wasn't flustered.  The discussion, upon multiple replies, just went
from exchange to OS War Talk.  Which is okay, but I wanted to throw everyone back on this
discussion rather abruptly (which I see I succeeded in - heh) to see if I can figure out exactly
what their doing over in Info. Services here.  For those interested, and one alluded to the fact,
the college is William Jewell College.  We're a private Christian college and don't have a whole
lot of money.  I like it here, but it is a liberal arts college, and technology isn't widely
accepted to be a part of the "liberal arts" inasmuch as pretty much everything else on campus.
Actually I think we've only had actual internet access for 6 years or something like that (two or
three years before I !
got here).  And my first semester here was the first time the proxy server was instituted (grr).

The IP range they are using, I think, is 204.185.x.x.  I don't really see anything on the outside
much as part of my normal day, but I've been able to do some running around (figuratively speaking
of course) and figure that much out.  There are some 204.185.116.x and some 204.185.119.x that I
have been able to find.

I don't think I've ever had as hard a time in communicating a problem/situation.  But the shear
fact is that I can't tell, nor is the admin. willing to tell me, what is going on.  As far I can
tell, it is like this:

|                                               |
|        +---------------------------+          |
|        |                           |          |
|        |    +-------+           +--+------+   |
| +----+ |    |       |           |Internal |   |
| | Me |-+----+ Proxy +           |Server   |   |
| |    |      |       |           |         |   |
| +----+      +-----+-+           +----+----+   |
|                   |   Intranet       |        |
+-------------------+------------------+--------+
                    |                  |
             +------+-----+            |
             | Outside    +------------+
             | Internet   |
             +------------+

Although, when I asked one of the other administrative personnel, I was told that it "must be a
misconfiguration on the proxy, not the mail server".  Basically.  Which would insinuate that the
mail server is both in and outside _via_ the proxy.  Meaning I send it something via SMTP, it goes
to the proxy, it goes outside.  I don't think that's the case, though.  I don't think any of them
singlely know what the entire network is up to at any point in time.  As far as I am concerned, at
this point, it's some sort of authentication problem.  I'm unsure, however.  The admin., by the
way, is no microsoft-basher.  More of a microsoft-heralder.  Whatever lame excuses they have, I
have yet to actually figure out what the real problem is.  IMAP I'm guessing, from what someone
said, is turned off?  Someone said they logged in remotely, and that they had looked at the WJC
server(s).  That'd make sense, since I can't even receive mail through it internally.  I have to
use POP, since IMAP!
 does not work.  He's said he's turned off POP on the outside.  That should not be a problem.
Using SMTP, and any authentication type supported by Evolution, I can send nothing.  If I turn off
authentication alltogether, I can send internally with SMTP.

I tried to send via SMTP by way of telnetting in and using the SMTP commands, but I get an
"Undeliverable" when I try.  Same thing as when I try to send with Evolution.  By the way, for
whoever was on the server earlier, there are two of them.  Shaman is just one of them.  The other
is regent.  I'm not sure of the IP's.  For some reason I cannot pull down my mail via Shaman
anymore... have to use the new one.  Shaman is exchange 5.0 and regent is exchange 5.5.  From what
I can tell.

Okay.  Time to sleep.  It's 6:30AM and I should probably go to sleep before today gets to be too
far into today.

Ben
http://www.linuxmail.org/