NVidia woes and DVD software

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Feb 7 21:11:22 CST 2003

My lackluster 2D performance seems to be the result of a combination
things, but ultimately the falut of the latest NVidia drivers, which
apparently have appaling 2D perfromance under specific conditions.

Gnome/Gtk seems to especially "tickle" the 2D performance problems, and
running a glx program (in Gnome) seems to increase the 2D speed.
Switching to KDE also seems to help a lot (seems faster than Gnome even
after the glx-fix), so I'm going to stick with KDE for now, and hope
NVidia comes out with a driver update soon.

Saddly, I can't try the older drivers, as they do not include support
for the NForce2 chipset used on my A7N8X (one of the risks I took when
buying a motherboard with a new chipset architecture).

Anyway, I'm now wondering if I can try out my DVD Player (this is the
first computer I've had a DVD drive hooked to).  I have my very first
DVD: "Joe Vs. the Volcano", but RedHat doesn't seem to install any form
of DVD software...probably for the same reason RH8 doesn't come with an
MP3 player. :<

Any suggestions for what I should be using to watch DVD's on my 19"
flat-screen via my RH box?  There seem to be several choices (xine,
livid, and ogle at least)...are any better or worse than the others?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net