domain-name-problem-on-sending-email-to-someone@mydomain.com

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Feb 7 19:32:31 CST 2003

Quoting Joe-Cho <joecho at everestkc.net>:

> The person who gave me a comment checking
> telnet mydomainname.com 25
> I got a error.

> Here's the portion of my /etc/named.conf file:

Ok, I don't really understand your problem yet.  I can't tell if you mean you
literally tried "mydomainname.com", or if you tried infosavvy.tech.new.net.  In
any case, you can seldom telnet to an unqualified domain name, you usually
specify a host.

You can't arbitrarily assign a domain name to a "real world" IP address and
expect it to work.  If you want people outside your private network to see your
domain name, you have to register it and arrange for someone to else provide a
DNS service that will point to your IP.  Usually this is the company that
provides the IP/Connection, but there are ways around that.

To use an arbitrary domain within your own private network, you set up a
private DNS server and point your internal machines to it.  If you want your
internal machines to be able to see outside hosts as well, you have to tell
your DNS where to go for information not stored locally.

If you are administering a _network_ of publicly addressed machines that need
to be accessed from the outside world, and you have a _range_ of IP addresses,
you may then want to set up a public DNS server for your domain.  You still
_must_ make arrangements with an outside party to point to your DNS server for
your domain.  You may also arrange for an outside party to maintain a DNS
server which is updated from your DNS server.

Conslult http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

and http://en.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-
v1.3/chap21sec163.html (unwrap) for more info - I'm not sure where I got my
configuration.  I believe RedHat has a Caching-Only DNS RPM, which is a very
good starting place for a private network.