Duel Ethernet card problems?

Doug Bronson doug at bronson-tate.com
Fri Feb 7 00:59:27 CST 2003

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Doug Bronson wrote:
> > Charles,
> >
> > See if you can understand my BAD drawing.
>
> Your drawing is fine...it's your network architecture that needs help.
>
> Also, the output of "ip route" and "ip addr" would help in diagnosing
> any configuration problems.

Isn't the "ip route" and "ip address" included in the drawing??

The router address is 192.168.0.135
The card in the linux box connected to the router, address is
195.168.0.101 route is 192.168.0.135.
The other card in the linux box, connected to the lan, 195.168.0.1 route
is 192.168.0.101
Maybe I've got the terminology wrong.

> > [INTERNET]
> > [CABLE MODEM]
> > |-----------
> > |  dchp
> > |
> > | D-LINK
> > | ROUTER
> > |
> > | 192.168.0.135
> > |----------
> > |------------
> > | 192.168.0.101  ROUTE:192.168.0.135
> > |
> > | Problem
> > | LINUX BOX
> > |
> > | 192.168.0.1   ROUTE:192.168.0.101
> > |-------------
> > |-------------
> > | INTERNAL
> > | NETWORK
> > |-------------

> If you explain a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish

The drawing is not 100% correct.
For clarity I left off a sub-network coming off the router. This
sub-network consist of a wireless network and a web-server.
My plans are to remove the router and put the standby linux, proxyserver
in its place. The new linux proxy server will still be in the same
location. Between the router (old proxy server) and the lan.

The reason I'm stacking up the servers/routers, is to keep wireless
clients from accessing my lan and to keep outside internet attacks from
both the wireless network and my lan.
I know that this can be done with one unit, but I like the modular
approach. If something goes amuck, the whole system is not effected.

Doug