Duel Ethernet card problems?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Feb 6 22:56:24 CST 2003

Quoting Doug Bronson <doug at bronson-tate.com>:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > FIVE network connection?

> NO!
> I have only two connections.
> I've tried Five differant cards.

Whew.

> > Did you say that only one interface comes up, or only one for each type of
> card?

> Only ONE INTERFACE, comes up.

Ok, and you checked the network scripts and there's one for eth0 and one for
eth1...

Which one comes up when you boot?

What happens if you issue ifconfig -eth<other> up?

Then just ifconfig?

We know it's not an IP Address question, because it worked under your other
distro, so it's got to be something about how RedHat is starting the network.

If necessary, we can step through the boot process and figure out where it's
going wrong.

I do know that I can't use the ifdown/ifup scripts to restart my network for
some reason - I always assumed it just didn't work with pump.  In fact, I've
had trouble getting the network to restart by doing anything except a full
reboot - even switching runlevels doesn't seem to work, so there's a catch in
the RH system somewhere.