Virtual Hosting

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Feb 4 05:24:21 CST 2003

> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:31:22PM -0800, jose sanchez wrote:

> > Now, the address bar changes from www.domainx.com to
> > 24.31.xx.xx/index.php. The registrar where the domains are registered
> > doesn't offer free "Domain Masking" (when the domain name stays on the
> > browser' address bar). I don't know if this is why I am having this
> > problem. If anyone have experienced this before please let me know.

Here's your example you gave:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.2.50

<VirtualHost 192.168.2.50>
        ServerName www.domain1.com
        ServerAdmin wilsan816 at yahoo.com
        DocumentRoot /home/domain1/www
</VirtualHost>

Looks good, but check to make sure you have this module loaded somewhere:

LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c

And I would define each virtual host a directory by including the
following lines within each virtual host definition like you have above:

<VirtualHost 192.168.2.50>
        ServerName www.domain1.com
        ServerAdmin wilsan816 at yahoo.com
        DocumentRoot /home/domain1/www
        <Directory "/home/domain1/www/">
                AllowOverride none
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

You can also specify the options each virtual host account can have,
etc...  I'm just comparing yours against an actual apache setup for
virtual hosting.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Charles K. Lee II wrote:

> I would recommend getting true DNS entries setup.  DynDns
> (http://www.dyndns.org) offers a 'Custom DNS' with which you can setup A

I'll second that.  I'm using dyndns.org and their service is superb.
Very easy to use with a wealth of features to choose from.  Worth every
penny.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://dattaway.org                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150