Reply to: kclug@kclug.org

A Duston hald at sound.net
Mon Feb 3 05:29:01 CST 2003

Patrick Miller wrote:

> What does anyone think of having the return address of messages be
> kclug at kclug.org instead of the last sender. This is a mailing list, and
> as such if I reply I normally would want the list to see the message. If
> I want to send a personal note to someone, I would address a message to
> that person. There have been several times I have hit reply and had to
> gone and come back to find hours after my reply someone posted the
> answer to a question I had answered but had not gone to the group. After
> all most other lists I am on reply to group.
>
> Any thoughts...
This comes up every year or so.  For some discussions of the issue, see:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=Reply-To+Munging

With Reply-To: set to the list both the Reply and the Reply-All button
have exactly the same effect.

Without Reply-To: set to the list, Reply goes to the author, and Reply-All
goes to the list (as well as others whose names can easily be removed).

If the original author's From address is not the same as his Reply-To,
you have _no_ method to send him an email.

I am in favor of the status-quo.

Hal