Question about hardware...

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Feb 2 20:19:43 CST 2003

Quoting Matt Graham <linux at bizniche.com>:

> The more I get into this, the more I feel like a newbie.  _sigh_
>
> So, if fdisk isn't in my path, I assume I'm missing a package or some
> sort.  I went to redhats and looked for fdisk and it pointed me to the
> util-linux package.  I also got the net-tools package because I don't
> have ifconfig in my path either.  When I tried to install both of those,
> I was told they were already installed.  So...  I guess fdisk and
> ifconfig are already in there, but I just need to add them to path
> maybe?  I wonder where they are, if they're in here.

Would you perhaps be running as a user rather than as root? If so, try #su - to
become root, then #which ifconfig, #which fdisk.  (You may have cfdisk instead
of fdisk, but I doubt it.)

Those commands often reside in the /sbin directory, which is usually not a part
of the user path, and which commands can not be executed by an ordinary user.
The logic for this is that these commands can do things to change the system
that would affect other users, or potentially "damage" the system.