Best free / downloadable distro for Toshiba Tablet PC

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Dec 27 18:06:32 CST 2003

On Friday, December 26, 2003 11:08 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:14:11 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
> <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:

> > I like SuSE better than RedHat or Mandrake.

> SuSE does a downloadable version?

They don't build it into ISO's - although it's possible that with some script
tweaking you could do it yourself.  You can either download all the RPM's and
the installer script and run it on a local network share, or you can do an
FTP install, which is what I did.  Running from ftp.novell.com it took about
two hours, not much different from what Mandrake took from 3 CD's.

(You can get the non-Intel versions as iso's.)

> And given that there is a downloadable SuSE, there may be resource
> concerns in a laptop, especially an older laptop (I have no idea how old
> a Toshiba Tablet PC is, I just have a very old Toshiba Satellite Pro
> myself).

I put it on a Winbook Si - 800MHz, 9G disk, 128M RAM.  It looks like it takes
about the same space as Mandrake with the same packages selected, but that
only makes sense.  The packages that they select by default are better
integrated than with Mandrake.  I really feel like Mandrake's gone down hill
lately, as has RedHat.  I like SuSE pretty well so far, a few strange bits
but everything appers to work somehow - not something I can say of Mandrake.