Sound Quality

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 14:59:39 CST 2003

That 'buzz' is probably a 60hz hum from the power lines.  Many of the
better turntables used a very sensitive electro-magnetic pickup that put
out a much lower line-level output than tape decks and stereo systems.
You probably need to get a pre-amp or just hook the turntable into a
stereo that is built to accept turntable level input and puts out
standard line-level out put.

Also, BE SURE that the green wire from the turntable is FIRMLY grounded
to the frame of the pre-amp, stereo or computer.  The turn table must be
a the same ground potential that all of the other components or you will
get this annoying 60hz buzz.

Note, the turn table MUST NOT be near the monitor or it will give you a
nasty buzz as well.

Leo J Mauler wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:06:46 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
><hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
>

>>Well, over one hurdle, on to the next.
>>
>>I finally found that the secret to getting recording to work
>>was to use the KAMix (0.0.7) aplication from KDE to
>>control the ALSA EMU10K1 driver for my Sound Blaster
>>Live, and to use the "Capture" settings to enable recording.
>>
>>Other mixer apps have a "record" button for various inputs,
>>but while using them controlls the pass-through audio just
>>fine, attempting to record always results in an empty file.
>>
>>So the next challange is:  I'm using a flat pre-amp for the
>>turntable.  If I adjust the master capture gain for the sound
>>card up to a reasonable recording level, I seem to be getting
>>a lot of distortion - sounds like clipping.
>>
>>This would seem to implicate the SBLive as not being up
>>to the task.
>>
>>I know several of you have done some vinyl-to-digital work.
>>What sound card did you use?  If you've used more than
>>one, have you found better quality with any particular card?
>>

>I'm stuck in "cheap soundcard hell" too.  In my case, its used SB cards,
>and I'm getting the same distortion problems.
>
>One inelegant workaround is to record at the lowest possible level (your
>computer can sometimes hear at levels your ear doesn't hear at), then
>jack up the volume in the software sound editor.  I still end up with
>distortion some of the time, but if you can get a fairly clean digital
>recording, you can play with things like volume in software.
>
>This is the trial and error method: start the recording software, start
>the sound, record a file, stop recording, listen to the file.  If you
>hear anything with the speaker volume up way high, you might have a
>working file.  Edit and adjust the volume in software, and see if you
>like it.  If not, try again with a slightly higher volume setting.

>The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
>Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C. This wasn't
for any religious reasons. They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.
--Jay Leno