CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Dec 27 10:17:19 CST 2003

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/12/22/1419255

> > I fired up my "Mandrake On The Move" CD and had fun
> > running it on a laptop.  It worked great -- I just need to
> > figure a way to do some saving of files.  I could see my
> > C: / D: as mounted, but couldn't save to them.
>
> Check /etc/fstab and see if those drives/partitions are
> mounted read-only automatically.  If so, unmount and
> remount as read-write.

KNOPPIX default mounts your C: (and any other Windows drives) as
read-only.

It seems only prudent for a Live-on-CD Linux to mount drives as
read-only, given that one of the "try-me" points about such CDs is that
they "make no changes to your existing system".

If the CD allowed you to write to any of your hard drives, then you might
accidentally make changes to your hard drives, and clueless newbies would
announce by word-of-mouth that
KNOPPIX/DemoLinux/Morphix/Mandrake-On-The-Move "deletes some of your
files" or "corrupts your Windows system".  It'd be their fault, but their
ignorant statements would run round the world before the truth had its
boots on.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:17:29 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> On Tuesday, December 23, 2003 09:09 am, Rich Edelman wrote:
>
> >... the cdrecord author doesn't like that
> > [handling IDE directly], and he lets you
> > know that.
>
> What an ass.  Few of us can afford the purist SCSI drives
> he gets to work with, but in spite of the fact that IDE CDR
> drives have been the norm for years he refuses to face
> reality.

When did Linux driver authors stop writing drivers for really cheap
hardware (i.e., the most common since everyone could afford it) and start
writing mostly drivers for really expensive hardware?

It seems that the cdrecord author's life situation could provide an
answer to the question of why low-end hardware isn't getting as much
Linux support as it used to.