Linux Sysadmin Job @ Google

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Dec 27 10:17:18 CST 2003

On 23 Dec 2003 21:52:03 -0600 david nicol <whatever at davidnicol.com>
writes:
> > 2+ years running large production systems
> > (more than 500 servers).
>
> more than 500 servers in a linux cluster.  I had
> talked about getting all spare lab boxes at UMKC
> into a process migration system, but never did it.
> Should I apply?  Move to Dublin?

Been thinking, ever since I understood the concept of "clustering", about
doing a practice basement cluster on a bunch of 486 and old Pentium I
systems (especially since getting more of them would be dirt cheap).

Yes, I know that clustering low-end machines would be rather like running
a single 1GHz machine spread out over 501 machines, but at least I could
say that I had managed a cluster of "more than 500 machines".  Don't know
if I could afford the electricity bill (though I could probably turn off
the gas heat in the winter...).