article on mandrake as good gift OS

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Dec 26 16:28:14 CST 2003

On Wednesday, December 24, 2003 07:42 pm, david nicol wrote:

> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/12/22/1419255

I don't know...  All of the Linux installations I've done - Mandrake through
9.2, RedHat through 9, and now SuSE, have required extensive tweaking to get
the system into what I consider usable condition.  Admittedly, if I were less
picky about how things worked, they do mostly work when the install completes
these days.

I've left my wife a Mandrake 9.1 laptop in England, and she checks her mail
with it.  I suppose if you don't expect much of the system it's easier to
live with.