CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Tue Dec 23 19:48:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 12:34 pm, Jason Clinton wrote:
> Rich Edelman wrote:
> > Couple of things I want to mention here. If you happen to run 2.6,
> > ide-scsi is deprecated and warns you as being so. cdrecord has been
> > patched to accept dev=/dev/hdc or whatever your device may be, although
> > the cdrecord author doesn't like that way, and he lets you know that. Not
> > entirely sure what the earliest version of cdrecord that has that patch
> > is, though. I'm running 2.0a18, and I know 2.0a20 is the latest out
> > there. It'll be in Gentoo's portage tree, or if you happen to run SuSE I
> > can point you to updated RPMs that support it (as well as kernel 2.6.0
> > RPMs).
>
> I read Linus's very strongly worded emails on the subject and I
> understand his reasoning for depreciating it. It seems it's bad from an
> engineer point of view.
>
> Do you know if the depreciation affects usb-storage.o at all, though?

The ide-scsi deprecation doesn't affect usb-storage at all, just emulating
SCSI over IDE is affected. USB Storage is really SCSI on top of another
protocol, and SBP2 (FireWire) is the same way.

Actually, all ATAPI drives support the SCSI command set and provide a way to
send SCSI commands to the controller. Simply put, ide-scsi mapped SCSI
commands to IDE (lookup table approach), when all you really needed to do was
use the IDE command for 'send this SCSI command'.

Rich