What makes Linux great?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 03:47:00 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> You know, I was going to answer this.  I even started to list the main reasons
> why I'm currently converting all of my Windows systems to Linux.
>
> Then I returned to my senses.  Microsoft has made it abundantly clear that it
> views competitors as enemies.  Competition is to be smotherd, obliterated,
> discredited, or if all else fails, assimilated.
>
> So why does Microsoft want to know what makes Linux great?  So it can refute
> it, tailoring it's FUD campaigns more carefully?   So it can find other
> tactics like it's support of SCO's lawsuits to impede Linux's strengths? So
> it can engineer it's own software to lock Linux systems out, prevent them
> from succeeding in mixed environments?
>
> We'd all like to believe that it's so it can target those strengths as ways to
> enhance it's own software, but years track record show that even when
> Microsoft does this, it also does the "take away their air" tactics and is
> ultimately more interested in it's own "triumph" than in the advancement of
> technology.
>
> No, Mr. Surkan, I don't believe you're the kindly uncle who just wants to
> understand us better.  Even if your personal motives are pure, even if the
> infomation you collect is used for good, it will also be picked over by the
> best experts in the world for any scrap that can be used against Linux - and
> ultimately against us.

Well said.  I only have one constructive thing to add.  Why is it that
with each successive OS from M$ I get a more powerful computer to run
just as slow as the last.  Why does XP require a MINIMUM of 256MB of ram
  to run decently.  A similar complaint could be made of KDE and Gnome,
but I don't have to run those, I have choice.