Telephone System

brad brad at bradandkim.net
Fri Dec 19 14:24:31 CST 2003

Yes, but the point of asterisk is to be able to take a regular PC, add a
couple of special cards to it (one that handles your incoming line(s)
and one that handles your stations and provides voice resources) and
then hook it up to regular analog phones.  With this cheap alternative
to a hardware PBX, the software PBX gives you tons of features including
call transfer, on hold music, auto attendants with your own recordings,
call routing based on DID or caller ID, IVR (interactive voice
response), and voice mail among many others.

Digicom supports and sponsors asterisk so it would be wise to choose
their cards, although dialogic is a standard in IVR technology and their
cards should work as well.  A quick search for digicom on ebay produced
2 auctions while a search for dialogic produced 5 pages of auctions, so
do your research, but if the dialogic cards are compatible they will
likely be gotten cheaper.  Assuming you are going to start with analog
pots lines from the phone company, I would just get a 2 or 4 port pots
card.  You can then add up to 3 more lines allowing you to conference
call and handle multiple calls at once.  For the station card, you need
to decide how many phones you will have that will have a unique
extension and that is the number of ports you need on this card.  Keep
in mind that every phone in the house will need its own dedicated line
to the PBX (PC running asterisk).  IIRC, normal residential wiring will
not work as it is daisy-chained from jack to jack and won't allow the
PBX to have dedicated communication with each phone.  If I understand
correctly that you are building a new home, it would be smart to run
multiple cat5 feeds to each room and terminate them on a patch panel in
a small noc or wiring closet.  You will then have plenty of dedicated
cat5 to run voice or data over.

Voice over IP is supported by asterisk and might be very useful for you
being in Costa Rica but calling the states a lot.  You can set up
another asterisk system somewhere over here (wherever you call the most
is best) and then assuming broadband is available at both locations, you
can dial an extension from your place and it will call over the internet
to your other PBX and from there you could dial out over the pots
line(s) thus making local calls here from there.

Once you bite the bullet and get the 2 cards, your possibilities are
endless.

HTH,
Brad