SuSE 9.0 install

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Dec 16 20:13:48 CST 2003

>>> Rick Franklin <> 12/16/03 01:24PM >>>
YOU = YaST Online Update ... it is a stupid enough tool for us newbies,
and so far in my experience, flawless. When given choices for update
locations,
"LEO Munich" has been the most expeditious (not sourceforge USA).
Instant Nvidia drivers, which I did need for 3D support, as well as gobs
of other stuff I will never need as a home computer user.

Wish I had the time to suffer through the Debian learning curve ...
someday maybe, but in the meantime this is still a fairly decent
Microsoft-free experience (True Fonts notwithstanding). ;-)

Rick Franklin
—-------------------------------------End Quote---------------------
As far as the Debian learning curve, we have discussed here that you can use one of the LiveCD
distros like Knoppix, Gnoppix, Morphix or damnsmall to get a Debian.  I didn't have too many
problems getting to a standard Debian from Morphix and it does a decent installer.

If you want to fix your fonts you can get msttfonts.sf.net.  They are the free MS TTF files.  If
you have a Debian based system just "apt-get install msttfonts".  At the site there are rpms.

Whatever works for you.  I now understand why everyone raves about apt-get.  I used to use Mandrake
and the update process sucked.  The interface changed on each release, rather than just improve
what they had.  And it was a royal pain to figure out what mirror would work best, none of the US
mirrors seemed to be on the list or work.  Around 8.0 I had to drop Mandrake as it just required
too many resources for even a basic install w/ KDE.  I don't think this was really KDE's fault.
Red Hat has been going the same direction.  Each successive version seemed to suck more RAM and
CPU.  The Gnome GUI on RH 9.0 was slow and nearly unuseable on a Pent. Pro 200.  At least w/ RedHat
I was able to add apt-get to update.  Up2date crashed and was nearly unuseable on this machine.  I
probably should have used the cli version of up2date on that PC, but didn't.  Red Hat is going away
for me since I found Morphix and its various versions (Gnome, KDE, Game, LightGUI (Xfce 4)).  I'm
actually learning stuff like I did w/ Gentoo, but the PC actually works and I don't have to wait
for everything to compile.  If I were to do Gentoo again I would start from stage 2 or 3.

Later,

Brian Kelsay