Distro for aging laptop -- bootable CD?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Dec 14 22:58:15 CST 2003

Bradley Miller wrote:

> I've got a P233 Toshiba with 96Mb in it.  I found the new Mandrake
> "Move" that allows you to boot from CD and access a USB storage
> device.  It works pretty slick -- has Openoffice 1.1 and configures
> the network and works flawlessly.  I even found the Minolta QMS 2300DL
> and printed to it from CUPS.  I tried the CD on my laptop and it kind
> of groaned and managed to sort of boot up.  The graphics were crap and
> it was very slow -- the Mandrake "Move" requires at least 128Mb of
> memory.  Does anyone know of a similar distro that will boot up and
> occupy less space?

Try the new version of DamnSmallLinux or the derivative Flonix.
DamnSmall has a new restore option, which allows you to save your config
to a USB pen drive.  When you boot, type "knoppix restore" and it goes
to the pen drive to get desktop settings, favorites, home dir, etc.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org